Talk to an agent: (408) 849-4343
Press play below to listen to our audio commercial:

Four Financial Responsibilities of Car Insurance Policy Holders in San Jose

San Jose city, as part of California State, impose the same car insurance laws as all over in California. Concerning vehicles’ insurance, California uses a so-called ‘tort’ system. This means that the non-guilty driver who has suffered bodily injuries in a car accident must require compensations to the faulty-part car insurance company. Still, you should know that a party must be proven guilty before there is a legal liability. Concerning auto accidents, the injured party must prove that the other party caused the accident.

San Jose follows the pure comparative recovery negligence law. For example, if you are considered 40% at fault, you can recover damages for the remaining 60%. Each party’s negligence is compared to the others and damages are awarded according to percentage of fault. However, cases involving fault issues are often quite complicated. If you ever find yourself in a similar situation, you should hire an attorney with high background in handling car accidents and comparative negligence matters.

San Jose’s drivers can accomplish their financial responsibility in multiple ways: they can purchase at least the minimum mandatory coverage – the liability insurance policy; they can provide a deposit of $35,000 for the Department of Motor Vehicles (this amount is greater than the maximum amount paid by the insurance companies in case of a car accident with more than one injured person, which is $30,000); another way in order to prove financial responsibility is to obtain a certificate of self-insurance from DMV – this option is available only for fleets of minimum 5 cars; finally drivers can obtain a surety bond for $35,000 from a licensed insurance company.

Every driver and car owner is eligible to obtain their own auto insurance in San Jose. However, there are certain factors which can dramatically reduce your eligibility. You should carefully consider your payment history, driving record, and your personal credit history and credit score. If in the end you don’t find a company willing to insure your car, you can get the liability coverage through the California Automobile Assigned Risk Plan (CAARP). This type of plan is designed for drivers who don’t qualify for auto insurance at any provider in the state.

Pay attention if you’re moving from another state to California, particularly in San Jose city. Make sure to avoid a lapse of coverage. If this particular situation occurs, you might be subjected to penalties and risk your vehicle’s registration to suspension. If you already live in San Jose city and you already have car insurance but failed to renew it in time, you also risk yourself getting some specific fines and penalties.

Remember that you are requested to prove you’re financial responsibility in order to legally drive in San Jose city. The simpler and most affordable solution would be to purchase auto insurance in San Jose for your vehicle. Enter your zip code here and check the rates. There are special offers for the local drivers. Don’t lose this opportunity!